Home Adopt/Re-Home/Foster Lost & Found Member/Volunteer Donations/Fundraising Events About Us Links Contact Us  



Animal Abuse and Neglect Complaints

PAWS takes animal abuse and neglect seriously. Because we are a registered charity, we have no authority to act on suspected/reported cases. We ask anyone concerned about the welfare of a domesticated animal they see or know are in distress to please call the proper authorities:

  • Town of Creston: The Bylaw Officer has the authority to investigate. Bylaw can also involve the BCSPCA.
  • Outside Town limits: Call the RCMP Non-Emergency line. They will investigate and will involve the BCSPCA as needed.  

PAWS works very closely with all three level of enforcement to assist them with the care of the animals:

1.   Town of Creston: 250-428-2214
2.   Town of Creston RCMP Non-Emergency Line: 250-428-9313
3.   BCSPCA Provincial Call Centre: 1-855-622-7722

To Report a Pet Left in a Hot Car

What you do first will depend on the condition of the animal or how long you know the animal has been in the car.

  1. If the animal doesn't appear to be distressed and you happen to be in a grocery store parking lot, for example, ask the store to announce the car's information over the loudspeaker. 
  2. If the animal does appear to be in distress, the BCSPCA recommends calling 911 or your local RCMP detachment. In Creston and area, the number is 250-428-9313.  

    Under the BCSPCA Animal Protection Act, the police have the authority to remove an animal in whatever way they assess is necessary. Bylaw Officers don't have the legal authority to break into a car to rescue an animal, regardless of the animal's condition.  
  3. Take the license number, description of the car, and where it's located and report it to Bylaw at 250-428-2214 or BCSPCA's Provincial Call Centre at 1-855-622-7722. Even if the owner comes back, whoever you report it to will follow-up.